Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Twice Baked Potatoes

I believe the first time I had a twiced baked potato was at my mother-in-law's table.  She is a wonderful cook and when I was a young bride I asked her for every recipe she prepared-- and still do.
This side dish goes wonderfully with burgers, grilled chicken, barbecue or by itself with a green salad.
I don't really have a recipe and find myself adding different ingredients each time I prepare them. They are truly a crowd pleaser so I usually make extra so my guys can enjoy them the next few days. Here is how I make them!!!

Twice Baked Potatoes 

Several Potatoes
Cheddar Cheese
1/2 to 1 stick of Butter, softened
Sour Cream
salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon paprika 

Clean the potatoes very well, wrap in foil and bake in a 400 degree oven for one hour - until fully baked.

Carefully cut the top 1/3 off of each potato (saving the potato pulp) and cut an oval into the potato, leaving 1/4-1/2 inch to form a shell. Scoop the pulp out and place it in a large bowl.  Set the potato shell in a lightly greased baking dish.
 

   
 












Add cheese, sour cream, butter and seasonings to the pulp.  With an electric mixer combine all. Regarding the amount of sour cream and butter... add a little at a time. You can always add more but if you add too much you can't take it out. Start with half cup of sour cream and then add more to get the consistency that you prefer.















Scoop the prepared potato mixture back into the shells and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until heated through.  
At this point you may refrigerate and bake later that night or even freeze separately.


 













You may add green onions, extra cheese, lump crab meat... what would you add? : )

Enjoy!
Happy Cooking!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment