Monday, January 7, 2013

Week 1: Strawberry Romaine Salad

















For those of you who know me well, I know you are not surprised that I am posting this salad recipe in week 1 of my new blog.  It is truly a family favorite and has been for years and years.  Each of our children request this salad as part of their birthday dinners and I find Samuel making this salad on his own often.  It is delicious!

I believe I enjoyed it for the first time at my sweet friend, Kimberly Pruitt's home, in Little Rock.  The recipe is published in The Junior League of Little Rock's cookbook - Apron Strings .    
I have changed the recipe in that I do not sugar the pecans. I simply add them as they are - fresh and delicious.  Please let me know if you make this salad.

















Strawberry Romaine Salad
(Source: Apron Strings)

1 cup Canola oil
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
black pepper to taste

For the dressing combine the oil, sugar, vinegar, garlic, salt, paprika and pepper in a large jar. Cover and shake vigorously.
Store for up to 1 week in the refrigerator

1 large head romaine lettuce
1 pint strawberries, sliced
1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese 
1 cup pecans or walnuts

For the salad, tear the lettuce into bite size pieces. Combine with the strawberries, cheese and pecans/walnuts in a bowl and toss to mix.
Shake the dressing and add just before serving. Toss to mix

Enjoy!
Happy Cooking!
Julie          

No comments:

Post a Comment